Branford Parks and Recreation Department
Skip to nav
CT Safe Boating Certificate offered by the USCG Auxiliary
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
Boat America is a boating certificate class that offers an in-depth and interesting boating safety course, and provides the knowledge needed to obtain a boating certificate. This is an 8 hour on-line course, approved by CT DEEP required for the CT safe boating certificate. Taught by USCG Auxiliary instructors. Some insurance companies will also offer discounts on boating insurance to boaters who successfully complete this course.
CT boating certifications rules require all students to be registered on the DEEP website and obtain a Connecticut Conservation Identification Number (ID) prior to taking your Boating Course. Go to the https://ct.aspirafocus.com/internetsales/ system and complete the registration process. Follow the instructions for "New Customers.” There is no charge to obtain your conservation ID.
- Introduction to Boating– Types of power boats, boating vocabulary, sailboats, paddle boats, powering boats, and engine types.
- Boating Law– Boat registration, regulations, hull identification numbers, required safety equipment, Federal boating law, state boating law, and reporting accidents.
- Safety Equipment– Life jackets, fire extinguishers, sound-producing devices, visual distress signals, anchors, and other safety equipment.
- Safe Operation and Navigation– Buoys and beacons, aids to navigation, navigation rules, docking, and the dangers of alcohol on the water.
- Boating Emergencies– Hypothermia, boating accidents, man overboard, capsizing, emergency radio calls, carbon monoxide dangers, and weather.
- Trailering– Types of trailers, lights, hitches, towing a trailer.
- Sports and Boating– Water-skiing, hunting and hunting gear, PWC operation, and other boating tips.
Link to course information: http://www.cgaux.org/boatinged/classes/2011/ba.php
Upon successful completion of the class the student will receive a U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Certificate of Completion and be eligible to purchase a lifetime combination State of Connecticut Safe Boating, certificate of Personal Watercraft Operation (CPWO), and a Safe Water Skiing Endorsement. The cost of the State Combination Certificate is in addition to the cost of the course and is shown as CPWO when you enter the State site to purchase your certificate. Presently a $50 state fee is required to obtain and to print your CPWO certificate.
June 7 – 6:30pm – 9:00pm
June 8 – 6:30pm – 9:00pm
June 10 – 6:30pm – 9:30pm